Friday, 25 January 2008

Friday, January 25th Same ‘ol, same ‘ol















Sorry it’s been so long. There isn’t much news! We had the warmest January day ON RECORD (50 some degrees). Mostly it’s been cool and RAINY. Lots and lots of rain. We haven’t had any flooding incidents yet, and I’m so thankful for that (even though the kids love them.)

Time is flying by. I can’t believe it’s almost the end of January! Paul has mostly been home ALL MONTH, which has been fantastic (and slightly unbelievable!).

I think the kids have adjusted to the new germs. They are back to being sick rarely, and when they are, it’s just your normal cold or fast healing whatever is going around illness. I’ve been practicing my driving – trying to remember to put on the parking brake at the red lights, and trying to remember all of the ins and outs and little nuances of the rules here. I’m also working on the after school routine – trying to make it productive and more structured. It can quickly deteriorate into complete chaos.

One thing I’ve been doing regularly with the boys is going to gymnastics. Like most things in England, there is no structure. You pay $12 for the two of them and for that money you are allowed an hour to run crazy in a REAL OLYMPIC GYM. They train the competing gymnasts here, and I believe the 6th ranked gymnast in the world trains here (or did, or something like that). I try to take the boys 1/week. They LOVE it, and I have never seen such an amazing gym. I finally thought of my camera one day, so here are the pictures of our gym. They include the walk into the gym (typical English building), the changing room, and THE GYM. It’s very big. The most fun ever is what the gymnasts in training use to learn tricky dismounts on the uneven parallel bars. You climb up these steps to a platform, then grab the bar and do whatever spins you need to, then when you dismount, you land in a pile of very soft and VERY forgiving foam. The pre-schoolers just like to run and jump into it, or climb the platform and jump into it. If you notice a blur in the picture, that’s actually Andrew jumping!

There is also a rope swing where you can swing over the foam, let go, and land in the foam. There is an entire area of “Gymboree” type soft things for John, but being 2, and the younger sibling, he likes to follow Andrew around and do what he does. However, John REALLY LIKES the trampoline. Parents aren’t allowed to go on, and John hasn’t learned to really jump yet, so I sometimes stand as close as I’m allowed, hold both of his hands, and help him go up and down. It’s a very fun play date for us, and afterwards we often treat ourselves to a drive through at McDs. I have Andrew in pre-school 2 mornings/week, and we do this one morning. It makes for a good week with the boys.




The last picture (although I’m not sure in what order it will load to the blog) is our drive home. You can’t see our house, but it’s just about the very next house on the left, just out of the picture.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

cheryl said...

The gym looks great! What a fun time! :o)